Today we finally got a long, soaking rain—much needed after almost unprecedented drought (in October and November, we got only about an inch of rain compared to the average of more than nine inches)—so I didn’t get out to walk. Fortunately, I had been able to take all the photos I needed yesterday.
252 N. Bayview Street
Lots of progress here in the past two weeks (you’ll recall I was unable to report last week). As I mentioned last week, there is a new wrinkle that I don’t really understand. In place of the flat painted panel above the windows in front, there is now what appears to be a panel of louvers. This must be only an ornament, as there is no opening behind them, and they currently are not matched at the other end.
The most obvious new exterior development this week was the construction of new brick steps in front and also at the south side entrance.
As noted two weeks ago, exterior painting is mostly complete…
…with occasional puzzling omissions.
This new outside light fixture has been installed, evidently replacing an older one that was lying on a counter in the kitchen.
Inside, flooring downstairs is nearing completion. In the living room, the new hardwood floor is partially protected by plastic. In addition, ceiling fans have been hung (Venture fans from Quorum International).
In the kitchen, the granite countertops have been installed.
This one has a complex opening for the unusually shaped ELKAY stainless sink.
I was a bit puzzled by the uninterrupted counter space under what is surely a range hood. I don’t believe it’s possible to mount a cooktop on the counter surface, so I can only assume that an opening will be cut out later.
I was also puzzled by these doors, but I suppose time will tell what is planned for them.
In the laundry room, work has begun on a tile floor.
Flooring has been laid in the back hall, and the stained doors have been rehung.
In the two back bedrooms, however, apparently the original floor is being preserved (and presumably will be refinished).
This wall sconce has been installed in the hall.
In the hall bathroom, the floor uses the basketweave marble tile that I coveted when we were remodeling our bathroom. The tub surround uses grey subway tile, atypically running vertically.
The vanity now has a countertop and undermount sink. There are still three porcelain sinks lying around (one can be seen in one of the bedroom photos above), but clearly they will not be reused. Perhaps the plan is to take them to the Habitat ReStore in Foley.
In the bathroom adjoining the southeast bedroom, another new countertop and sink (though the broken toilet tank cover still strikes an awkward note).
And in the bathroom that is part of the “back room” suite, yet another countertop and sink.
Upstairs, in the master bath, yet more marble/granite.
The shower enclosure is nearly complete, with the decorative strip mostly in place and the floor covered with the hexagonal tiles that I wanted (but did not get) for my bathroom.
One end of the shower has a seat/shelf.
A close-up of the decorative glass and stone mixture used for the decorative strip.
On the upstairs porches, the ceilings have been stained and ceiling fans hung. Here, as elsewhere, recessed lighting fixtures have also been installed. Most of these fixtures are in place, along with exhaust fans in the bathrooms. What mostly remain are connections for ceiling fans yet to be installed.
The floors of the porches are still unfinished, so it’s a good guess that these tiles (simulated stone and wood), found in the master bedroom, are intended for that application.
From the rounded edges, I would guess that these boards, stacked in the living room, are destined to be cut into stair treads.
352 N. Summit Street
Exterior painting was partially completed this week. The front and north (left) side are finished, the back and south sides and the garage not yet begun. Because the doors were sealed, I was unable to go inside.
351 N. Summit Street
More beds and walkways have been outlined.
The ground was covered with flags, red, yellow, green, white, and pink. The pink ones were labeled “John Deere Landscapes,” the red, white, and yellow ones “Site One Landscape Supply,” and the green ones unmarked. I didn’t try to figure out what they signified.
Inside, work has begun on the kitchen floor, using the wormy chestnut boards purchased for the purpose.